Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Lesser Known Trails

Capen Park Trail

1600 Capen Park Drive

Length: 0.5 mile

Type: Dirt

Selling point: The park is home to limestone cliffs that draw rock climbers and sightseers alike.

User comment: “I come here every day because I can let my dog off the leash. I like that it’s in the woods,” MU student Shana Pauley said.

Hinkson Creek Trail

2011 S. Old 63

Length: 4.25 miles

Type: Limestone

Selling Point: The trail crosses the Hinkson Creek in several places, where you can find rust-colored bridges designed to look like the old railroad bridges along the Missouri River.

User comment: “I come here every day because it’s the only place you can bring your dog and not get a ticket,” Columbia College student Randi Robinson said. “There are places to bike, places to run and lots of trees.”

Cosmo-Bethel Park Lake Trail

4500 Bethel St.

Length: 0.46 mile

Type: Limestone

Selling Point: The trail circles the Cosmo-Bethel Lake, which offers fishing and wildlife-viewing.

User Comment: “I love how you see the families fishing. I think that’s really neat,” said Katie Brown as she chased her 16-month-old son, Abner, away from a flock of geese.


Excerpt from: Thursday, June 5, 2008 Missourian, Lesser-known trails, by Ashley Simpson.

No comments: